“Self-contained Classroom of Today”
Are you responsible for a self-contained special education classroom?
If so, we know that you foster enhanced support for students with special needs or specific difficulties. And when we say enhanced support, you might be using different techniques or programs to provide struggling students with specialized interventions.
Thoughtco defined self-contained classrooms as classrooms specifically designated for children with disabilities. Self-contained programs are usually indicated for children with more serious disabilities who may not be able to participate in general education programs at all. These disabilities include autism, emotional disturbances, severe intellectual disabilities, multiple handicaps and children with serious or fragile medical conditions. Students assigned to these programs have often been assigned to less restrictive environments and have failed to succeed, or they started in targeted programs designed to help them succeed.
What is the purpose of a “Self-contained Special Education Classroom?”
- verywellfamily explained it here The Purpose of a Self-Contained Classroom
Is there such a thing as “PERFECT” self-contained classroom?
- See what the Learnersedge has to say here Creating the “Most Suitable” Self-Contained Classroom
Some special education teachers shared their best practices for a successful “Self-contained Classroom.” These practices you might already be using or you might want to emulate!
- Memphisteacherresidency has this practice for years now: Some Sanity-Saving Tips About Collaboration In The Self-Contained Classroom
- What I Learned: Teaching Summit Learning in a Self-Contained Special Education Classroom shared by Jacklyn Beckerman, a special education teacher, in the summitlearning blog.
- When you just want some inspiration on how to organize your self-contained classroom Kayla of myspeciallearners generously shared her ways to do it! Access it here: “HOW I ORGANIZE MY SELF CONTAINED CLASSROOM”
- Nicole of adaptationstation shared FLUENCY CENTER IN A SELF-CONTAINED CLASSROOM
- If you want to know the history of a self-contained classroom in public school, read it here: Understanding Self-Contained Classrooms in Public Schools
We are not affiliated with any organization mentioned in this article but we thought that sharing this will give you other ideas as to how to be more effective in a self-contained classroom. Techniques or programs may vary from school to school but one thing is common, it is a passionate heart that every special education teachers give to each student they have – that makes learning a bit easier.